Many years ago, I had one of those bright ideas that backfired on me. Instead of extruding lines of adhesive across the web of a production line laminating one sheet of paper to another, I replaced the extrusion heads with six spray values. Read more
Installation Instructions: Pre-Pasted VirtuWall™ Wallcovering
VirtuWall™ is a printable latex saturated wallcovering paper that can be used for a wide range of creative and promotional indoor applications. VirtuWall™ is easily installed on walls or other rigid surfaces. Refer to the instructions below when installing VirtuWall™ pre-pasted wallcovering to painted drywall. If applying to a different type of surface, contact RTape for instructions.
Before beginning your installation, gather the following tools:
- Hand pump pressure spray bottle filled with water
- Measuring tape
- Utility knife
- Smoothing brush
Proper surface preparation is essential for a quality installation.
- Walls must be smooth, clean and free of mold, mildew, grease or other stains.
- If you are installing over existing paint or primer, make sure that the paint or primer has good adhesion to the drywall surface. If freshly painted, make sure to allow 72 hours for the paint to cure to the wall. While high quality primers will provide a good surface, we recommend the following products:
- Benjamin Moore Fresh Start® Latex Primer
- Sherwin-Williams® Multi-Purpose Latex Primer
- Any mold or mildew on a wall may be an indication of a moisture problem. If mold is present, it must be removed from the wall and any moisture accumulation sources must be corrected prior to installation.
- Fix any imperfections on the wall with either spackling or drywall compound. Prime and seal the wall before applying VirtuWall™.
- Remove stains and marks such as ballpoint ink, grease, lipstick, crayon, marking pens, or inks from the wall.
There is no need for additional adhesive because the pre-pasted material has a water activated paste. If you choose to use a pre-pasted activator, we recommend Zinsser® SureGrip 120 Activator for Pre-Pasted Wallpaper. This will allow for more "open-time" of the adhesive during installation.
- Allow for a 1/2" overlap of the material to match up properly with the seams. Compensate for the overlap when setting up the RIP prior to printing.
- Spray water to the back of the sheet until thoroughly saturated. If using SureGrip®120 Activator, do not spray any water to the back of the sheet. Gently fold the sheet with the adhesive facing each other to keep moist and allow adhesive paste to active. Set aside for 3 minutes.
- Unfold the sheet and place onto a wall from top to bottom. Carefully smooth out bubbles and crease using a broad smoothing brush starting in the middle of the sheet and brushing outward.
- If necessary, continue spraying the edges with water throughout the entire process. Allow the surface to dry to the touch then wipe off any excess adhesive using a damp cloth or sponge. Wait for the mural to dry completely before trimming off any excess material. Use a straight knife with a fresh new blade when trimming.
- Do not install VirtuWall™ unless the installation and storage areas are above 65ºF for at least 48 hours prior to and after installation.
This material is dry strippable if installed using these instructions and recommendations. Start at the top of the image and peel a 6-8" section of the panel completely. Continue drawing the product back on itself at a 180º angle. In instances where the substrate appears to be very tightly bonded to the surface, spray the section with water. After moistening the surface, allow the mural to stand for 60-90 seconds and then return to peeling the mural back upon itself. Use a wet cloth to remove anything remaining on the wall.